IoT MOOC Courses
- Here we announce, current IoT courses in the form of self-study, MOOC.
We provide courses for free in self-study mode, so both application and participation are free. However, obtaining a verified certificate may be a paid service. Please refer to the terms and conditions, directly in the online learning platform.
Some courses run on a pre-defined schedule, but core courses hosted by the consortium EU partners are available 24/7 for starting.
Currently, we’re preparing to provide courses via three platforms
- Definition of IoT devices.
- Use cases and scenarios for IoT.
- IoT hardware including Arduino and Espressif SoCs.
- IoT sensors and actuators, their connectivity and its programmatic control.
- Programming in C++ general and specific for the aforementioned SoCs.
- IP networking principles for Espressif SoCs.
- Secondary school (high school) physics, algorithmic.
- An elementary understanding of computer networks, in particular, IP networking.
- Test launch of courses on the platform OpenEdu.ru.
- Register on the platform here. Remember your Login and Email!
- Please, fill the registration form, including your Email and Login name with short motivation:
- Wait for the invitation to the course.
IoT Networking and Fog layer devices
In this course, students will learn about specific IoT networking protocols and Fog devices programming, here Raspberry Pi, in Python and C# languages.
If you have some experience with IoT end node devices, here comes an advanced part for the networking.
We present networking layer protocols, in details 6LoWPan and selected application level protocols, including an in-depth presentation of the MQTT and CoAP protocols. We also present important facts on other popular networking protocols like Bluetooth, BLE, TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP and their relation and usability in the IoT world. The course contains material covering different networking IoT scenarios, including gatewaying, routing, star and mesh network topologies.
We also present in details Raspberry Pi platform as an example of the Fog computing device, including a short course on Python programming for Raspberry Pi under Raspbian OS and C# programming for Raspberry Pi under Windows 10 Core IoT OS.
As materials are provided by authors who develop real IoT solutions and work not only in academia but also in industrial projects, your study will have applied character, getting you ready for challenges of the IoT challenging world, including Industry 4.0 and Smart Cities, Smart Metering and many, many others.
What You Will Learn
- IoT network topologies including star and mesh, a device to device, device to gateway and device to cloud.
- 6LoWPan and its relation to IPv4 and IPv6.
- General information about Bluetooth Scatternet and Bluetooth Mesh (5.0) network topologies.
- Cellular communication principles and their use in IoT solutions.
- Information about hardware and operating systems for the Raspberry Pi platform.
- Programming (including GPIO and interfacing sensors and actuators) in Python for Raspberry Pi under Raspbian OS. This includes basic information on OS installation and development environment configuration.
- Programming (including GPIO and interfacing sensors and actuators) in C# and Microsoft Visual Studio for Raspberry Pi under Windows 10 Core IoT OS. This includes basic information on OS installation and development environment configuration.
Course Length and Effort
About 8 weeks, 4-5 hours per week. Self-study model.
- General understanding of embedded systems.
- Understanding of the way GPIO works in particular with connection to different sensors and actuators, digital transmission and embedded systems protocols like SPI, I2C and OneWire.
- Understanding of IP networking, wired and wireless communication and higher level protocols like HTTP.
How to Apply?
- Coming soon…
Data management, data security and Robot Operating System as a common tool for IoT
Data management and its security and privacy is an important topic for IoT. Development of the common solutions with the same vulnerabilities creating a new challenge!
An open source software makes possible source code development under community monitoring and fast reaction in case of a problem. Robot Operating System as a way to IoT data collection and control will be shown.
If you are interested in home automation and connected devices, this course is for you.
IoT security and privacy come as a big challenge with an increasing number of connected devices. Authors will guide you through the guideline and will show common vulnerabilities. After that par,t you will be able to make your work more secure.
There is a lot of software solution for IoT, and we’ll focus on the popular open source framework OpenHAB. It provides an interface to connect and tune your device. The next tool for software development in the IoT field is the Robot Operating System. It’s a common framework for robot programming, but the unique IoTbridge tool provides a bridge between ROS and the OpenHAB Home-Automation system.
We are staying on the way to Web3 technologies these make possible a peer-to-peer communication between devices. Now the traffic between machines becomes more significant than the traffic generated by people. And direct routing between devices became reasonable in the sense of sustainability and economy of IoT solutions.
What You Will Learn
- Security and privacy guideline.
- Several cases of how to find and fix vulnerabilities.
- Robot Operating System programming introduction.
- IoT bridge library for device and software communication.
- OpenHAB as a common interface for home automatization and IoT.
- Peer-to-peer device communication.
Course Length and Effort
About 4 weeks, 4-5 hours per week. Self-study model.
- C++ or Python programming.
- Understanding of the basic programming for embedded systems, for example, ESP32.
- Knowledge of IP networking, wired and wireless communication, and higher-level protocols like HTTP.
How to Apply?
- Coming soon …
INTELLECTUAL OUTPUT DISCLAIMER AND COPYRIGHT NOTICE
This Intellectual Output was implemented under the Erasmus+ KA2: Strategic Partnership in the Field of Education, Training, and Youth – Higher Education.
Project IOT-OPEN.EU – Innovative Open Education on IoT: improving higher education for European digital global competitiveness.
Project number: 2016-1-PL01-KA203-026471.
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
This content was created by the IOT-OPEN.EU consortium: 2016 – 2019.
The content is Copyrighted and distributed under CC BY-NC, free for Non-Commercial use.
IOT-OPEN.EU consortium partners collective content.